Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Walking Miracle Part 3

If you haven't read parts one and two, please be sure to scroll down and read that first. Here is part three of my husband's miracle testimony to the merciful, healing power of our God.

Given this fact they reported that for the rest of my life I would be a quadriplegic. I don't recall sustained consciousness until sometime the following morning at Columbia. They were trying to explain to me what happened. My only capability of response was to blink my eyes once for yes and twice for no. They went through the process of informing me that I would need a tracheotomy, which would connect me to an electronic ventilation system since I had lost the ability to breathe. Soon after that they performed surgery to permanently stabilize my vertebrae. There was nothing, however, to be done in correcting the damage to the spinal cord seeing that it had spent many hours smashed between the two vertebrae. Approximately ten days later came the final prognosis. It indicated that I would require extensive rehabilitation but the damage was permanent and so the condition would be. I would need to learn to operate what is called a "sip and puff wheelchair", which is maneuvered through a mechanism that allows you to activate it with a straw. But I believed in my heart that Jesus Christ was also my physician and that He was not limited to science.

I placed myself in the hands of The Great Physician. I had very little faith at the time but then again it only takes a little faith to move mountains (Mark 11:23). The one thing I knew is that God loved me, and in spite of my own foolishness, He would have mercy on me. Throughout the whole experience I had people praying for me including my mother who was at my bedside most of the time. I had been attending a church that year, but obviously my whole heart was not in it. At this time in my life I was letting my commitment to God slip, and I was starting to fall back into old destructive habits. Nevertheless, my pastor was accustomed to praying for people in need of healing (Mark 16:18 says that believers will lay hands on the sick and they will recover) and he quickly traveled to the facility in order to claim God's Word concerning the situation. This time of prayer actually took place before my surgery and it seemed that none of the professionals involved in my care would even entertain the idea that I would recover. I remember hearing about some of my co-workers asking the staff if there was any chance of me walking again and they wouldn't even acknowledge the question. Their only reply was, "Let's just see if we can keep him alive." The doctors would scoff at my mother's comments about me being healed. At one time she was having a conversation with one of the head surgeons, and as soon as she mentioned having faith for my healing, he immediately turned his back on her and left the room. Still she remained steadfastly fixed on the Word of God. Here I was age 26 and apparently had lost everything, but with God all things are possible (Luke 18:27).

No comments:

Post a Comment